Thursday, August 14, 2008

In Memoriam Natesan Thatha….





Come August 15th Our beloved "Natesan Thaththa" turns a Centenarian,albeit solely in our thoughts and minds. Unfortunately as a grandson I cannot claim fond memories of him unlike my parents, aunts and uncles, Arun, Vaishi or 14 of my other cousins who have had the opportunity to interact and be in his presence for long. I was only 2 years old when he passed away in 1982. All I have is a vague remembrance of the time we spent with him in Coimbatore and his passing away at our Aththai's place in Tinnanur. But I have always felt at some level, that I knew him deep inside in spirits. I guess it sprouts from the many family incidents involving him that my parents have shared with me or may be it is because I see a part of him in all of us in the family.

Almost everyone who interacted with him would agree how great a teacher he was. I have observed that my father always remembers thaththa when he sees the "Wren & Martin" grammar book and I have often heard chronicles of how thaththa would always start his English Grammar class with a lesson on Active/Passive Voice using the popular "Rama killed Ravana" example. There are many of his students from St. Andrews High School, Arakkonam who went on to become very successful in their life and career and even recently I was thrilled to hear so high of him from one of his former students who happens to be a good friend of my father. Another person who was fond of him and misses him dearly is my mother who still recollects his benevolence and the encouragement he had for her. She recounts his continuous support towards her and also his reassuring words when things didn't turn up well sometimes.
Everyone in this family might have their own reasons to remember him but the mutual feeling during his centenary year is that we all respect him for his simplicity, humbleness and poise.
Thatha..
I am sure you guide us everyday and are proud of our achievements. I wish we retain a part of you wherever we go.

Loving Grandson,
- Harish Shantharam

No comments: